Virtual Real Estate Solutions : Tennessee: Crossville: Mayland

Relocating to Crossville TN ? The History of Mayland TN from Crossville TN Real Estate

 The Jonhson's Stand was one of the earliest settlements in Cumberland County. Mr. Robert Johnson brought his wife and three sons in 1800 and in 1806 they built a log building that was used as an Inn. The Johnson's stand when built bordered four counties. Overton, White, Fentress and Morgan Counties. It was not until Cumberland County was formed by the Legislative Act in 1855 that the Johnson's Stand became part of Cumberland County.

The Inn built by the Johnson's is one of the oldest houses in Cumberland County. At over 150 years old the old log building only shows a chimney of what is left of this old house. The Inn became a well known hotel for travelers. Parents visiting a youth camp known as Camp Nakanawa would also lodge at the Inn. Camp Nakanawa is still operating today and children from as far as Switzerland come to the camp throughout the summer months. Each year approximately 300 children are enrolled in camp.

 In the early years The Tennessee Central Train was means for transportation. Later it became the "Goodwill" and then was renamed by Mr. Wiliam Cooper as Mayland when the railroads and highways re-directed traffic from the old roads. During this time the Cumberland Plateau, Cumberland County and especially Mayland attracted Utopia building colonist's starting in 1845. In 1913 Mayland attracted a Bohemian colony which purchased 5,000 acres and set out to work clearing the land for farms. J.E. Converse tells us that they were a hard working colony but extremely resistant and stubborn when it came to advice. At one point they planted potatoes without a fence and allowed the hogs to roam leaving their potato farm in shambles. They only stayed a few years after realizing that the land was hard to crop since Cumberland County is upon a mountain, covered in rock.

 The first school in Mayland was named Band Springs and opened it's doors in 1885. Fount Ellrod was the first preacher of Mayland and the school house was also the local church. In 1900 Mayland opened it's first Post Office and has had a Third Class Post Office ever since. Today, Mayland has several stores and three Churches : Church of Christ, Church of Nazarene and the Mayland Baptist Church.

When early settlers traveled to Mayland from North Carolina the men quickly found that there was a lack of Industry in the small undeveloped town. Men sought employment elsewhere leaving supervision and protection to the women. Maggie Cross soon became Mayland's only female Police Chief while Cora Cooper Doney was elected her Assistant Police Chief. Family records indicate that the two women "had only one gun between them and wondered what would have happened if they had needed to shoot it". Many years later Mrs. Cross, the Police Chief admitted to Mrs. Doney her assistant that the gun was never loaded and that she " was afraid of guns".

A little farther down the road from Mayland a small town existed called Dripping Springs. Dripping Springs was well known for it's farming, mining and lumbering. Today, mining still exist's. W.M. Cooper is said to have built the first house there in Dripping Springs and also kept the Post Office, of which we know only that there was one in 1900.

 Today, as you travel through Mayland the sites and appearance are astounding. With farming and wildlife it is sure to catch the eye. Mayland boasts of Menanite Communities where you will find a general store with handmade items such as furniture, soaps, breads and cheese. For the more extravagant feel Cumberland Cove Subdivision glows with the natural radiance of bluffs, caves, mountain views, creeks and an abundance of wildlife. With a Golf Course and a "going green" style of homes and atmosphere Cumberland Cove has the retirement yet homey feel. Lots, Acreage and Pre-Existing homes are For Sale in this nature made subdivision and welcomes Custom Building at it's finest.

For more information on Cumberland Cove, Mayland, Crossville and Surrounding Counties call me, The Realtor of Choice for Crossville TN Real Estate.

Courtesy of Melissa Grant                        

931-210-8277 Cell/Direct

lissalgrant@yahoo.com email

 

Be sure to review my many blogs for more Cumberland County History, Real Estate and Relocation Information

 For all of your : Real Estate needs in Crossville TN : Be sure to check out : Crossville TN Real Estate

Mobile : 757-694-7013  Email : aserendipityworld@gmail.com 


Website :http://www.serendipityworldcrystals.com

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” ― Helen Keller

 

                                                                              

                          

Comment balloon 8 commentsMelissa Grant • March 27 2008 07:30AM
Relocating to Crossville TN The History of Mayland TN from…
share
The Jonhson's Stand was one of the earliest settlements in Cumberland County. Mr. Robert Johnson brought his wife and three sons in 1800 and in 1806 they built a log building that was used as an Inn. The Johnson's stand when built bordered four… more